I woke up at 5am on accident and caught my first infamous Manila sunrise. Tried to convince my body to keep sleeping but didn't work once I found more playoffs on TV. I was up. Since there were 5 hours to kill until my plans I went for a run in the "fitness room" downstairs (1 tred, 1 machine, some hand weights) I made it 4 miles w/no air conditioning (at 8am here it is 85 degrees) before feeling like Rocky by the amount of sweat that was pouring off my body so gave up for a cold shower.
(I'm not commenting on Blazer loss, intentionally)
Joie (the master barre3 trainer here) took me out to lunch for a real Filipino meal. Crab legs, garlic rice, chicken w/lots of bones still in it and chop suey. She ordered and I didn't say no to anything (personal rule here). As a drink she had me try; think water with pieces of jello in it. Hella sweet. After I was halfway through it which felt like a marathon I asked Joie if this was made w/bottled water. The look on her face was priceless. "Don't finish it" she said. Oops. I had also downed a couple glasses of water during our meal but I had assumed were bottled. WRONG. So far, I have survived.
This is the inside of Market Market!

After grocery shopping (which was fairly standard other than every employee muttering "Hi Ma'am" as you walk by) Joie showed me the studio in the Fort and took class from a pregnant hilarious instructor named Bam.
After class I went upstairs to The Spa which is connected to barre3 for my 7 o clock Swedish massage. The massage, dear god, the massage. To be honest, there were moments that made me nervous where it was headed. Next time I have to remember to wear underwear. But apparently butts are not off limits here. Why didn't anyone tell me these things?
By the time I got home at 9 I only had energy to cook myself tofu and faceplant into my bed.
TODAY:
I taught my first classes today at the Fort. They went well but it's very obvious that my class is much faster and faster-paced than they are used to. I think I may have to ease them into this.
After classes Tanya and her family took me out a really nice Filipino lunch at Abe where her aunt ordered for us (I was unable to translate menu so they just asked me if there's anything I don't eat and I lied and said, No!) I told them I liked chicken but after seeing how it's served I think I should keep that to myself. After we got the chicken pieces (unrecognizable) we were served the best shrimp of my life coated in buttered garlic. Next came the fish. Skin, still present, scales, still present. Eyes, still present. This fool was super crispy and was staring at me in the face. Of course his seat was right next to me, where Tanya proceeded to cut his head open and serve me first. Thanks :) It was all really really good food in the end, but always an experience.
Post crispy fish we got frozen yogurt at the Stock Market where I will become their best customer. Once again, I am feeling the jet lag for sure. Hard to get used to it being yesterday in Portland. My body isn't all the way convinced yet.
Tonight maybe some basketball, stir fry and Chelsea Handler. It's 95 degrees fyi. XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment