Thursday, April 29, 2010

Filipino Thunderstorms

Rally, the driver, picked me up this morning to take me to the studio in Alabang. Approx 20mins away. He's the homie, but no english. Just "Hi Ma'am" and "Traffic". It's cool, I was mesmerized by looking out the window like a tourist anyways. 2 minutes outside the Fort I see REAL Manila. Poor, dirty and fascinating. Crowded and all smashed up next to each other. Countless Jeepneys and junk shops, laundry frying and flying in the wind. I all of a sudden realized I live in the Pearl District of Manila. The drive made me want to get out of my comfort zone so quickly and explore THAT kind of neighborhood but I kept plotting ways I could do it safely (slash w/someone who speaks Tagolog)

The studio in Alabang is different. Cute, small and fucking hot. The front desk girl Lyan (Leon) who is 21 and adorable was running late. She gave me the 30second tour which whizzed by the A/C but she failed to mention it takes 30 minutes to start working. Say what? That's half-way through my class! Needless to say I was dripping in sweat (along with the 4 clients) through the class. I've just gotten used to it. Class went well. Numbers are smaller there, but is a nice change in pace from the Fort. When I was checking out Runner's Magazine in the lobby I started giggling when I saw the guy on the cover; he reminded me of the Filipino version of Jake. Dark, beautiful eyes and huge hair. When I told Lyan that I thought he was foxy she laughed at me and said "He the bomb!" I'm obsessed w/this girl already. (Oh the runner is apparently muy famous in Manila as being this hot/badass professional runner. Break me off a piece!)

Tonight it is thunderstorming in Manila. I love warm rain, and lightening. I brought the umbrella that the apartment provided. It's orange, of course. Jesus, as if I need to stick out anymore. The blonde American girl in her romper walking around Manila w/her ORANGE umbrella? Bring more attention to yourself (esp when it flips inside out halfway thru your walk, so cute)

I explored the 3 story bookstore in search of cookbooks/yoga books and it felt nice to get lost in a bookstore again. Post, bookstore I dropped into this New Orleans restaurant CRAVING red beans and rice which they didn't have or understand :( I compromised for some fish and basketball to go and hit up 711 on the way home for some cold beers; Red Horse. Have you tried this stuff? Not bad if you're staying in w/Robert Downy Jr....

Shout out to Emily Kropp, my #1 blog fan, you make me smile erryday. And yes, you best believe I'll be working you our b3 style when we reunite in July! Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. OMG I'M FAMOUS ON YOUR BLOG!!! jk jk.

    So my friend Steve was completely unhelpful about stuff to do in Manila, apparently he actually hasn't spend very much time there at all.

    That magazine cover made me laugh, "Torch Fat with Tuna!" and "Are you fertile enough?" Damn, it went there.

    I'ma send you the MOST incredible recipe for simple pasta sauce. It's the crack of pasta sauces no joke and it only takes 3 ingredients. It would be good to have on hand for days you don't want to actually cook too much.

    So are the magz/books there in English? I'm assuming so if you were kickin' it in a bookstore.

    Steve said that when it rains there it floods really bad, has that happened yet?

    It's supposed to be 70 in NYC today but it's so cold in my office that I have my "office sweater" on and a space heater for my toesies. WACK.

    Have you read "the girl with the dragon tattoo" yet? if not, get on that. you can thank me later. and i'll think of more recipes too, this is a good site for ideas: http://www.tastespotting.com/

    oh and if you catch "true life: I hate my face" can you tell me how it is? I'm dying to see it.

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete