After not being able to watch the last Blazers game of the 2009-2010 season I threw a pity party at the pool (there's something about listening to your Mom cheer for the Blazers over Skype that makes you miss Portland too much) At the pool while desperately trying to finish my book, a Filipino creeper w/braces got in the grill, (Is this lounge chair taken? turned into How much did your Visa cost? and What's Pilates?) Ugh. Over you! Threw my Roy jersey back on and ended my pool party.
CAV/Ironman2; Tanya and her BF and sister picked me up for dinner at a place called Cav, it's a wine shop/restaurant which her father owns. After being introduced to approx 18 people (mainly family) we had a 3 course dinner which was far from casual. Argula salads, garlic shrimp (gapas?), yellow fin tuna, sole fish....ending with some amazing desserts I will do a terrible job of describing. One was this rich chocolate mousse cake paired with yogurt/fruit while the other was this apple pie that looked like the thinnest pizza I've ever seen paired with Cinnamon ice cream. Holy SHIT. To die for.
The entertainment of the meal was Tanya's little brother Shaun. He just turned 12 this week and is quite a character. He's in that stage where anything besides Mac n Cheese is gross but he'll try it and make a face, then go back to playing his PS2 at the table. He was cracking me up.
My favorite moment of the evening came when I was introduced to their Enomatic Wine Machine, is it just me or is this thing heavenly. A self-serve wine case that allows you to taste/select/pour your glass of wine and bring it to your table. I went against the pairing rules of white fish and got a red Merlot from Italy, duh! I liked it so much I spent 700pesos on a bottle of 2007 Chianti called Ruffino.
Post CAV we went to see Ironman2 at Rockwell theaters. On the drive there we passed through the Red Light District which must have been near Burgos St (after doing some reading). Little kids tapped on our windows trying to sell us flowers for the Flores festival which I think lasts through May. Drums, transvestites, barefoot kids;everyone was out celebrating. It was insane. How come the Philippines get to release box office hits a week before the US? Not sure, but apparently has to do w/some piracy concern. Works for me! RDJ was delicious.
Still waiting on my camera cord from America, once I get it I will post the picture I took with Ironman before the movie. It's pretty classic.

No comments:
Post a Comment