On the 4th floor was the 'Crossroads of Civilizations'; lots of traditional Filipino textiles, Chinese exports and an obscene amount of gold. "Gold of our Ancestors" showed over 1,000 pieces of gold that existed before the 16th century. Lots of earrings, bangles and diadems. The intricacy of the gold pieces was fascinating but I couldn't help but skim through the thousands of plates and bowls.
(Really really old bling)I fell in love on the 3rd floor with a man named Fernando Zobel (formally he is known as Fernando Zóbel de Ayala y Montojo). Born in Manila in 1924 but his citizenship was Spanish and went to Harvard. His work is a collection of sketches, paintings but my obsession began with his photography. Zobel was known for his spontaneous generosity. He died in Rome 2 years before I was born. But he is my new best friend. Here is a link to some of his photos; http://www.fernandozobel.com/artist_photography.htm
(Maiden by a Fruit Stand-Zobel 1952)By the time I left the 3rd floor I was on such a museum high (can't describe this, hopefully you know this feeling). When I got the 2nd floor the mood shifted. The 2nd floor hosted a 60-piece set of dioramas chronicling Filipino history. The dioramas are so impressively moving, I was surprised how much this kind of medium could capture the essence of some of the most intense times the world has seen. As I made it to the 30th diorama shit was getting heavy. Executions, wars, KKK-the list goes on. I absolutely HAVE to come back and get those god forsaken headphones so I can listen to the stories behind the stillness.
Once I made it down to the ground floor I felt like I had run a marathon and rewarded myself with a little down time in the bamboo garden outside. a very very hot bamboo garden. My tour was over and I was thinking I should probs text Bong to tell him to bring the car around (what? really?) but instead I wandered around the garden a little bit more and found a random outdoor-air chapel. I cautiously walked towards it not knowing if anyone could enter/are chapels free? I am so not religious. I walked in and found one of the only quiet places amongst this raging city of 11million people. It was kind of amazing. I sat down and watch busy Filipinos come in, kneel, pray and leave. Some were staked out or fanning themselves on god's time but it was silent. I had not heard silence since Portland, it was almost beautiful. I stayed for a few minutes appreciating this out of context place of worship after staring at so many picture of violent battle.
(Inside Greenbelt Chapel much more crowded than today)
After laying low this afternoon I went out to dinner with a client who is from Manila but went to UW. Her name is China and she likes hip-hop. She invited me to dinner at Chelsea near the Fort studio with some friends of hers. They are fun and tried convincing me to come dance with them at some club called LAX but I don't dance on the first date in foreign countries. PLUS I don't have any heels to bump and grind in anyways so next time ladies, next time...
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment