Monday, May 3, 2010

"Chanel Ma'aaaaam"

Manic Monday, for sure.

After taking Joie's (packed) 10:30 class at the Fort this morning I went with Tanya and Eileen on a lunch/shopping date at Greenbelt. All they told me is that it was indoors and cash only-other than that I had no idea where/what I was getting myself into.

First we ate Filipino at Casa Reyes. BOMB. I ordered the Chicken Adobo which came with (green) Mango and rice. But wherever we go I am politely forced to try everything on the table, I love this. So I also tried Java rice, Gsing Gsing (new personal fave; green beans cooked in Coconut milk with pork) and the legendary Daing na bangus (traditional Filipino fish that is served with garlic rice and a fried egg). Ok, so I stayed true to my "Not saying no to anything on this trip rule" but dude the Dain na bangus fish tasted like I was chewing a warm piece of the Ocean floor. Seriously I almost had tears in my eyes from the salt water I was pressing into my taste buds. Of course I had finished my bottled water already so I tried washing it down with more rice. Yikes. Check that off the list, it's never making a 2nd appearance.

(Daing na bangus)

Post ocean floor fish we went onto shopping. Basc. it was was rows and rows and rows of faux LV, Prada, Gucci, any other name brand you can think Marissa Cooper would flaunt for a couple thousand pesos (cheap). It was chaotic, boiling hot, overwhelming and rapidly all whizzing by me. Since my blonde hair makes me a walking target for consumerism here all I heard for the next hour was a combination of Filipino women cooing "Hi ma'am" "Chanel, ma'am" "Bags, ma'am" "You buy, ma'am". There was a lot of pressure to buy whatever you were looking at even if I slowed to down to 5mph. Woof. Before I knew it I was bargaining with some woman for an LV tote that I didn't even desperately want but still convinced myself I needed if I could get to P1000. No go, she stayed at 1, 600 so I walked. Also men kept whispering next to me "DVD, ma'am" and holding out lists of the new hits they had to sell. Tempting but I kept walking.


(Kind of wish I copped this now)

Ok, so I did buy some knock-off gold Chanel studs for way cheap and a hand-made fan to use the next time I'm tryna buy a Prada bag. Things I will be going back for; TORI BERCH tote/jellies, fresh water pearls, fake Nike dunks.

As the finale of the afternoon Eileen treated me to the most famous Filipino dessert Halo-Halo. It's a random assortment of shaved ice and milk, beans and fruits, and served cold in a tall glass. Without having known that it was like ice cream with pieces of jello/banana in it with an occasional kidney bean in the mix. Halo halo translated from Tagalog means Mix Mix, so once you do it's actually one of the BEST things I've ever tasted. The ice cream that was on top was called Ube (tarot root, it was purple). After fessing up about being really into it Eileen and Tanya insisted I buy some to take home with me. I agreed an walked about with a half gallon of Ube ice cream, literally. Whoops.

(Halo Halo, I'm Jessie, so very nice to meet you)

After this fun-filled afternoon I needed an mean power nap but had to teach back to back's in Alabang (where the AC is broken). So now ladies and gentlemen, it is time for a glass of wine and an episode of the OC. Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment